Filed under "DD Council News"
More articles »
Five Iowa Developmental Disability Transportation Grants AwardedThursday, February 25, 2021
AMES, Iowa – Feb. 24, 2021 – The Iowa Department of Transportation has awarded a total of $113,330 in Iowa Developmental Disability Transportation Grants to five Iowa public transit systems. A majority of the funds for this new grant program, $93,505, come from a grant from the Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council with the goal of improving accessibility and addressing barriers or challenges experienced by persons with disabilities in moving around their community. The remainder of the funding comes from the Iowa DOT’s State Transit Assistance Special Project funds.
The following projects were awarded funding:
- Ames Transit Agency (CyRide), “Automatic Passenger Counter Technology Project” - $19,037
- Marshalltown Municipal Transit, “Pink Route” - $15,133
- PeopleRides, “Healthy Accessibility Program” - $15,000
- Region 8 Regional Transit Authority (RTA), “ICF & HCBS Transportation” - $20,000
- Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA), “Barriers to Transit Equity for People with Disabilities” - $44,160
Public transit is vital to enhancing the mobility of Iowans, providing critical service to the general public and vulnerable populations. Iowa has public transit service in all 99 counties. For more information on public transit visit: http://www.iowadot.gov/transit/.
The Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council has a mission to work to create change with and for persons with developmental disabilities so they can live, work, learn and play in the community of their choosing. For more information on the DD Council, please visit: https://iowaddcouncil.org/.
Contact: Kristin Haar, Iowa DOT Compliance and Training Officer, at 515-233-7875 or firstname.lastname@example.org